With summer underway, now is the perfect time to go out with friends and family for a picnic. From sandwiches to other tasty snacks, there are plenty of recipes you can make. Make your picnic an unforgettable one by trying these tasty recipes.
Vegan “B.L.A.T.” w/ Crispy Smoked Mushroom “Bacon”
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 4 slices of white bread
- 4 tablespoons of store-bought or homemade vegan mayonnaise
- 2 leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Kosher salt
- 6 mushrooms (for Crispy Mushroom “Bacon”)
- Olive oil
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on each side of the bread slices. Preheat a heavy skillet or griddle over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add bread in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook until second side is golden brown. Transfer bread to a cutting board.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Stack lettuce and tomato evenly between two slices of bread. Season tomatoes with salt.
- Cut the caps off your mushrooms and cut them into 1/4 inch slices. Toss them with olive oil and salt. Make sure to keep flipping so all sides are nice and crispy.
- Top your sandwiches with the mushroom “bacon” and avocado. Close sandwiches, cut in half, and serve.
Bacon Lettuce Cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- Cooked bacon, chopped
- Wing sauce
- Lettuce leaves
- Grape tomatoes
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Toss chopped cooked bacon in wing sauce.
- Place the bacon in lettuce leaves, and top with sliced grape tomatoes and crumbled blue cheese.
Strawberry Chicken Salad with Pecans
Prep Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 4 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- 3/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups of halved strawberries, divided
- 2 4-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons of chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 ounce of reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled (or about 1/4 cup)
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or 3 teaspoons), vinegar, honey, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Stir everything with a whisk. Add 1 cup of strawberries; toss them around to coat them. Let this stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the chicken with the remaining teaspoon of oil; sprinkle evenly with the rest of the pepper, salt, and the paprika. Coat your pan with cooking spray. Add the chicken to pan, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are done. Remove chicken from pan, and let it stand 5 for minutes. Cut across the grain into slices.
- Divide the spinach, the remaining cup of strawberries, and the onion between 2 plates. Top evenly with chicken slices and the strawberry-balsamic mixture. Top each serving with 1 1/2 tablespoons of pecans and 2 tablespoons of feta cheese.
Lemon Crème Sandwich Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 2 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 32 thin lemon cookies
- Beat softened cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Slowly add cold heavy cream, beating until stiff peaks form. Sandwich cream between 32 thin lemon cookies (about 2 teaspoon per sandwich).
- Serious Eats (Vegan B.L.A.T.)
- Country Living (Bacon Lettuce Cups)
- MyRecipes (Strawberry Chicken Salad)
- Country Living (Lemon Cookies)