It can be hard sometimes to find something to do during the cold winter months. Have you exhausted all possible ideas? If so, creating an origami animal can be a great stress reliever. Each of the animals listed below are organized from easy to challenging. Grab some origami paper in various colors and follow the instructions below!
- This is a great animal for first timers to create. Grab a six-by-six inch square of origami
- paper and start color side up.
- Fold paper in half to form a rectangle.
- Roll the paper from the top right down, diagonally. Try to roll as tight as you can.
- Once you get near the end, roll the unfolded end up.
- Tighten by holding each end in a hand.
- Twist each side gently in the opposite direction.
- Whether you prefer golden retrievers or pugs, a dog face is simple to make and is a
- great activity for kids! Place your origami paper with corners at the top and bottom. If
- you use colored origami paper, the colored side should face down.
- Fold from top to bottom to create a triangle.
- Fold each corner together and unfold. This should form a crease in the middle.
- Fold down to create the dog ears, using your crease as a guide.
- Fold in the top and bottom of your dog head.
- Draw some eyes, a nose, and a mouth.
- This simple frog can be made with 6” x 6” colored origami paper. Start off with your
- paper color side down. You will need to make a squash fold, which can be done by
- pressing and flattening your paper to make it fold.
- Fold the paper left to right to create a triangle.
- Crease and unfold your triangle.
- Fold the paper from top to bottom to form another triangle.
- Fold the right side to meet the center.
- Bring the fold back and open the paper slightly.
- Make a squash fold. The left edge and right edges should line up with the center
- Rotate your paper over 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
- Fold the left side over to reach the other side.
- Give your frog some eyes.
- This one is a bit challenging. Try to use a three-inch piece of origami paper. You will
- need to make a mountain fold, which is made by folding the bottom edge away from
- you behind the paper. Start with your paper color side down with a corner at the top
- and bottom.
- Fold your paper in half from bottom to top to create a triangle. Re-open once it’s been
- Fold your paper in half from right to left.
- Open it up and flip the paper over so the color side is up.
- Fold two-thirds of the top over aligned with the middle crease. Ensure that you write
- on the uncolored side, should you decide to leave a mark.
- Fold half of the tip of your top to the colored side.
- Make a mountain fold and flip over your paper. It should look like a diamond.
- You should now have two sides. Fold both of them in to meet in the center.
- Fold the bottom tip up slightly.
- Your ladybug will take its shape. Create spots with a black marker.