Turning on an oven or stove on a hot summer day might make your home feel stifling. The last thing you probably want to do on a 90-degree day is to bake a pot roast or heat up potatoes. Just in time for summer, here are a few recipes that are easy to make and don’t require you to turn on a stove or oven.
Sesame-Lime Chicken Salad
Grab a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket to complete this easy-to-make recipe!
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- 3 tbsp. of fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of toasted sesame oil
- ½ of a red chili pepper (sliced)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups of shredded chicken
- 1 tbsp. of toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup of crispy Chinese noodles
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine the canola oil, lime juice, sugar, sesame oil, chili, along with a pinch of salt and black pepper into a large bowl. Whisk.
- Add lettuce, carrots, and chicken. Toss.
- Add sesame seeds, noodles, and cilantro to the top of the salad. You are now ready to serve.
Open-Faced Tuna Sandwiches
Make this diner classic in your own home. This recipe serves four people.
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 cup of chopped apple
- 3 tbsp. of finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup of finely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 4 slices of toasted bread
- 4 slices of Monterey Jack or Muenster Cheese
- Drain your canned tuna.
- Put your slices of bread in the toaster.
- Combine your tuna, apple, onion, walnuts, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper into one bowl.
- Pour your mixture onto bread and add cheese on top to serve.
This is a tomato-based soup that is very popular in Spain and Portugal. It’s usually served chilled and takes less than 20 minutes to make. Good for a cold lunch or appetizer for dinner.
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 4 green onions
- ½ large cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tbsp. of vinegar
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt & pepper (optional)
- Chop your tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and red pepper.
- Peel the cucumber and remove seeds from your red bell pepper.
- In a blender, combine your tomatoes, green onions, cucumber, bell pepper, and water.
- Add vinegar and olive oil, blend again until well integrated.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary and enjoy!
Ceviche Spring Rolls
Pick up some black cod from your local supermarket or seafood market to make a healthy dinner that will cool you down.
- 6 oz. of thinly sliced black cod with skin removed
- ½ cup of lime juice
- Sea salt
- 1 head of lettuce with leaves separated
- 1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 thinly-sliced avocado
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and julienned
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro leaves
Chilling your Fish
- Place your cod in a glass baking dish and pour your lime juice over it.
- Season with salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until fish is opaque.
The Lettuce Rolls
- Stack two lettuce leaves next to each other.
- Place your cod mango, avocado, pepper, and cilantro in the leaves. Season with salt.
- Roll and slice in half.
Recipes Inspired By:
Sponsored by: Avery